Tuesday, October 20, 2009
upArt Contemporary Art Fair
upArt Contemporary Art Fair
UPART CONTEMPORARY ART FAIR – INSTALLATIONS AT THE GLADSTONE HOTEL
“…the transformation of site achieved here rings anticipatory notes of curiouser things to come in further installments of this new event.”
- Stephanie Vegh, MAP magazine, U.K. 2008
When is upArt?
Thursday October 22 to Sunday October 25, 2009
(Event coincides with 10th Anniversary of Art Toronto (formerly TIAF))
Thurs Oct 22 4pm – 8pm PREVIEW
Fri Oct 23 12pm – 11pm
Sat Oct 24 12pm – 7pm
Sun Oct 25 12pm – 5pm
Gala Reception Fri Oct 23 7-11pm – with live performances and DJ
What does it cost to attend upArt?
Exhibition Entry $8.00* (includes exhibition guide)
ROOM FOR WONDER – Panel Discussion – Sat Oct 24 11am-1pm – Gladstone Ballroom – Free
Panelists discuss contemporary implications of collecting, curiosity, and wonder.
Carla Garnet – Toronto curator and art consultant
Jennifer Marman and Daniel Borins – Toronto artists and collaborators
Catherine Heard – Toronto artist and educator
“THE RIDE OF YOUR LIFE”...and Dikkie Dee’s Badass Return!
Sun Oct 25 – Departs from upArt/Gladstone Hotel at 12:30pm/Departs art Toronto/Metro Convention Centre at 3 pm
AGYU Performances Bus drives the spaces between upART and Art Toronto. Artist Ulysses Castellanos will take you on the ride of your life as he leads you on a bizarre tour of Toronto.
If you like ice cream-stick around to witness DIKKIE DEE’S BADAAASS RETURN!
NEXT lounge at Art TorontoAncillary projects by Diane Gougeon, Bonnie Marin, TH&B and Achim Zeman provide at glimpse of more curiosities to come when you visit upArt Rooms of Wonder at the Gladstone Hotel.
· Carl Bouchard Chicoutimi QC
· Marie A. Côté and Olivier Girouard Montreal QC presented by New Adventures in Sound Art
· Diane Gougeon Montreal QC
· Robert Hengeveld Toronto ON curated by Katharine Mulherin Contemporary Art Projects
· Bonnie Marin Winnipeg MB curated by Mary Reid
· Jennifer Marman and Daniel Borins Toronto ON
· Julian Montague Buffalo NY presented by Hallwalls Contemporary Arts Center www.hallwalls.org, curated by John Massier
· Alexander Moyle Toronto ON
· Jérôme Ruby Montreal QC curated by Galerie Donald Browne
· Red Head Gallery Toronto ON
· Janet Bellotto www.janetbellotto.com
· Paula Braswell web.mac.com/paulabrasw/PAULA_BRASWELL_/Short_Bio.html
· Jane Martin
· Jean Bridge
· Laura Cunningham
· Lynne Heller
· Joan Kaufman
· Margie Kelk
· Ram Samocha
· Elaine Whittaker
Public Space Installations:
· Elizabeth D’Agostino Toronto ON
· Stephanie Cormier Toronto ON
· Achim Zeman Cologne Germany curated by Lausberg Contemporary Toronto/Düsseldorf
· Catherine Heard Toronto ON
· TH&B Collective Hamilton ON
· Jennie Suddick for The Canadian Society for Explorers of Contemporary Natural Heritage Toronto ON
Who produces upArt?
upArt is produced by: The Gladstone Hotel
2009 Edition curated by Barbara Gilbert and Chris Mitchell.
* 2009 Guest curator Barbara Gilbert is a Toronto artist, arts writer and educator.
* Chris Mitchell is the Director of Exhibitions at the Gladstone Hotel.
For curatorial and/or press information contact:
(+1) 416.531.4635 ext. 7105